Perch Rock Lighthouse
New Brighton Lighthouse, originally known as Perch Rock Lighthouse after the navigation hazard that it marks, came into operation in 1830 and continued as a navigation beacon until 1st October 1973, when it became a victim of modern navigation technology. The tower rises 90ft above the rock, the first half of which is solid. To gain access when the tide is out a ladder is needed to reach the first of the 15 iron rungs built in to the side of the tower that lead up to the door. A spiral staircase leads to the keepers' accommodation consisting of a galley/kitchen, a bathroom, a living room and a bedroom and then up to the lamp room.